Saturday, October 24, 2015

NOVA

This post is will probably be a little out of character for those of you who know me.  And for those of you who know me really well, it may be spot on... but here it goes.  This blog is about our first post. Washington D.C. Which is not really Washington D.C. at all  - because I really don't know a soul who can live in DC.  So this post is more about Northern Virginia  (NOVA) which, just in case anyone should ever ask you... IS NOT THE SOUTH! It doesn't have southern weather and people constantly ask where we are from when we speak.  After being here nearly 4 months I think I can safely compile a good/bad list about NOVA.
Things I don't like about NOVA -
1. I don't like that it's called NOVA like it's "Super Nova". (random, I know... but it bugs me)
2. Most people don't look you in the eye and they don't strike up a conversation just because...
(when I do meet a fellow southerner...true southerner... we have a mutual sigh... kind of like a welcome home pause -  a moment to appreciate how we would have responded if we were back in the south.)
3. I ESPECIALLY don't like that it is October 18 and currently 35 degrees outside! What is that about?
I was literally just on Amazon looking for snow boots for my girls. Why do I have to purchase a set of boots just for snow.  For those of you who know me, you know that I am CHEAP frugal and one set of shoes for one purpose is beyond all reasoning for me.  So I have launched a campaign to make snow boots have a little bow and come in silver so they can double as a church shoe :)
4. It takes 30 Minutes to get anywhere. Example 1. Our church - 6 miles and 30 minutes away.
    2. our friends in Falls Church 8 miles and 30 minutes away. 3. My daughter's gymnastics class in Herndon - 30 minutes.  It makes no sense, and yet... I have learned to accept it.
5. It used to be a big deal to cross the state line. When we were in Alabama, we judged distance by time and state lines.  IE: My in-laws live about 6 hours away in North Carolina....
NOW it's my friends live 30 minutes away in Maryland... HA! different state - still 30 minutes!

Here are the things I love about NOVA
1. Fall - need I say more? The light, the color, the leaves.    It. is. breathtaking.
2. We are only 30 minutes from D.C. - well actually 40 - same difference. We have two school-age children and we are in the heart of the US! What could be a better learning experience?  It is so fun to hop on the metro and be at a historic landmark just like that.  We have really enjoyed the convenience.  And most of the sites are free. Here's a link to my pinterest board that has tons of things I've pinned to do in the DC Metro area.
3. Our Church. We are attending McLean Bible Church.  It's much bigger than we are used to, but here is what I like about it - You have to want to be there.  Parking is crazy, it's crowded, it's easy to go unnoticed, so you have to make the effort to get there, to get involved, to volunteer or else you have only yourself to blame.  I worked at a church for a while and I feel at times it grew complacent, with the members feeling like the church was there to serve them.  We had meetings trying to cover every situation so people would feel comfortable. Here, there are simply too many people.  You come, you meet God there, you worship, you find a place... or you don't. It's Up to you.
4. The town we live in is COVERED in walking trails.  It is the first planned community in the US and it is so well laid out.  Our home backs up to a walking trail. We love the emphasis being put on being outside.
5. It's temporary. I don't mean this to be a dig on NOVA  - I mean - this is a post, our first post and I love that we know there is an end to this post. It helps keep us adventurous.  We know we need to take in as much as we can now, because we will be moving on.  It really is the way you should live every day. Take nothing for granted, enjoy the time with family, friends, meet new friends, jump right in.  I'm ashamed to say that I left Alabama with a list of things I never did while living there...my WHOLE life.  We aren't going to let that happen here.
I'd love to chat more, but there are things to do and places to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment