Friday, February 5, 2016

The Freedom of Renting

Our first post in the "Foreign Service" is Washington D.C.  While I will admit, coming from the South made this transition a bit foreign, it wasn't exactly what we had in mind.  We are adapting and even enjoying D.C. One situation that we find ourselves in, that we haven't since 2003 is that we are renters.  While there is no better feeling than living in a home you own, it feels pretty awesome living in someone else's home, too! I've compiled a list of ways I've found freedom in renting.

1. There is no debt.
In 2008 we had a newborn and the economy tanked.  I remember watching the stock market close early to stop the stocks from continuing to plummet and thinking, we are going to be homeless.  (there may have been a little postpartum playing into those thoughts) but the loom of the mortgage was always there.  It was always a consideration in any financial decision we made.

2. There is hardly any upkeep.
When we owned our home, there was the bug man, the semi annual furnace/ac maintenance, termite bond.  Was it time for a new roof? Were the hedges in the front getting too tall?  Was there a tear in the screen? Is there a crack in the tile in the kitchen? It felt constant.  We were always setting aside some money for maintenance or improvements.  Disclaimer: I do understand not all renters have pest control and ac maintenance included in their rent.  We are very fortunate.  But, now that I have had it, it will be something I look for in the future.
We only have to take care of our home and let someone else worry about when its time for the new roof!

3.  Major repairs aren't your worry.
Like I said in number 2, if the refrigerator goes out - I don't have to fix it.  The pipe bursts, I can simply call my property manager. It's comforting knowing that is taken care of.

4.  Decorating is a piece of cake.  In our situation, we're only here a limited amount of time.  We decided not to even ask if we could paint or make changes.  I follow many blogs that advise how to make those changes in a rental.  Someday, I may want to, however, we loved the paint colors they chose and felt no need to do anything other than hang some pictures, throw down some rugs and be done with it. It was so awesome knowing we didn't even have the option to take out a wall or put in a new vanity in the powder room.  It is what it is... that is freedom!

5.  It's Temporary
I understand this isn't the situation for everyone, but if you're foreign service, it's your reality. This home isn't yours, you are simply being entrusted to take care of it.  That is humbling and truly creates a more eternal perspective; for me anyway.  I look at this home as temporary, I am going to make it beautiful, use it for showing Christ-like hospitality, make my family feel secure in it, make wonderful memories and when the time is right, walk away.  I will be ok with that, and so will my family. It's a good home, and there will be another good home awaiting us wherever we end up.


So there you have it - 5 ways I find freedom in renting.  I know this is a stage in our life. It's not how it will always be, maybe that is why it feels so wonderful.  I know I need to soak it in and make the best of where we land.  For now, I'm content...that's enough.  Well, I've got some chores to do and some kids to play with... see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment