Wednesday, January 6, 2016

A December to Remember - And Some January Goals

Well, the holidays are over and we are left with a few remaining Christmas decorations, lots of dirty linens, an empty pantry, and some of the best memories.  It. was. wonderful. We were surrounded by our family and friends who came together to celebrate. We celebrated the birth of our Savior and 3 days later we celebrated George's first birthday.


It was a fun couple of weeks.  The last of our family left January 2 and we were left feeling so blessed that so many made the effort to come visit and celebrate with us. Here are some of the pictures from our December to Remember.


We Celebrated St. Nicholas Day as a part of our Europe Study

George Helping Erik with the Christmas Lights

Our new favorite winter hobby






Someone in our neighborhood put out a wishing tree!
It was so neat to see ornaments hung filled with neighbors wishes.

What do you do when you move your daughter away from friends and family?
You agree to an inflatable.


After 3 hours of grocery shopping!

We enjoyed our cousins visiting.

This little monkey loves the metro.



Showing our family the Museum of Natural History


Sammie couldn't hang at the Museum of American History

Now on to my December goals - let's see if we made any progress...
Blog:
     1.List January Goals before January 8 - It's January 6 - that's better.
     2. "Mini-Tour" of our almost no cost basement set up. Pictures taken, blog coming!


Home:
     1. Really Finish the Basement - I would like to get a little creative with more family pictures, but I'm done - for now...
     2. Finish Decorating for Christmas and prepare for a house full of company! We are pumped that Erik's parents will be here for Christmas and my parents and sister, brother-in-law, and nieces and nephews will be in for George's first birthday! I'll be sharing a blog with my meal plan and some activities as well as my modified check list for company

Health:
     1. Outside Everyday - Done - all the prep for our Guests got me out and about daily!
     2. Get up at 5:00 a.m. every day - Maybe not everyday, but I made it a habit and I love this time that's all mine!
     3. Get in bed by 10:00 - Not as consistently as I wanted to, and I paid dearly some days. 
     4. I am going to try to get dressed, including make up everyday. I want to accessorize my outfits, and feel better - Done! I went shopping with a gift card thanks to Erik's mom and got some new clothes. Feeling better already!
Home school:
     1. Find some fun December crafts and centers for the kids to do.  
     2. Finish Ella's Singapore Math part A book - We didn't finish, but we are moving right along in the new year and will be back on track by the end of January.
     3. I've set a sight word goal for Anna. Doing really well on her sight words, and her grammar rules!
    4. Use the timer more.  We are using the timer for math drills and hope to start it for reading for Anna this month.

Now for my January Goals:
Blog:
     1. I'm ready to put my blog out there. I have been blogging since May, 2015 but haven't really publicized it. I think it's for several reasons.  1 - this has been therapy for me, and it's kind of personal. 2. I doubt my writing/blogging skills, and I don't want people to think it's terrible.  But I am ready to share this journey we are on and if it helps someone in the process, that is even better!
     a. In addition to putting the blog out there more, it will be getting a face lift thanks to the hubs and his creativity - so thankful he is supportive of this little venture!

Home:
     1. Get the rest of the Christmas put away!
     2. My pantry and coat closet will be getting a make over this month. They need a purge and some organization.  I am not an organized person, and I am cheap! So I will feature my low/no cost organization because as much as I love the matching bins, and chalkboard tags, I am not going to spend money on stuff to hold my stuff. I wish I could - I wish my pantry looked like this( I truly love her blog!), but it won't but I will still have my cereal and my soup exactly where I need them.
     3. We are going to become a "leave your shoes at the door" family. It's going to take practice and I am definitely the worst because I am never barefoot, but we have light carpet and Christmas showed me just how much is tracked in on the bottom of our shoes, so I will be taking some steps to implement a shoeless or at least an indoor shoe/outdoor shoe home.

Health:
     1. Exercise, Exercise, Exercise...just like everyone else!
     2. Practice moderation in all things - tv, social media, food and drink, pretty much everything!
*I realize this goal gets away from my whole  - keep it real and attainable goal setting approach, but I'm not quantifying the amount of calories, minutes of screen time, etc. I just want to keep moderation in mind in all things. I think that helps it become more attainable.

Home school:
     1. Branch out - I will be writing more on this in another blog, but there are things I find myself longing to learn about. Why can we study them even if they aren't in the geography or science curriculum?  Well, we are going to! I love winter studies - polar bears, the arctic, penguins, snowflakes - we are going to work those in. I am going to try to not be bound by the curriculum.
     2. Review the scope of learning for each of my children's grade levels to be sure we are on track for the end of the year.

Family:
     1. Serve more, participate more, reach out more. This sounds lofty, but really the goal is tied to this.  We are going to just jump in and really LIVE in NOVA. Enjoy what the town has to offer, participate in the events of the church and give back! I'm the most excited about this goal!

Well,  that's all for now - got some goals to achieve!


No comments:

Post a Comment